[RC] hypothetical trail etiquette question - Karen

On trail, when riding in a group, it is polite and correct etiquette to wait
at water for other horses to drink.

If there is one trough and several horses, I get out of the way. If I am riding with somebody who has a horse still drinking I'll wait nearby, so I am out of the way. Horses need to learn to drink on their own, with other horses leaving them. If my horse won't drink because another horse just left, then too bad for my horse, he has to learn and get with the program or get over the mental anguish (poor baby). I don't offer up much sympathy because I know that when my horses want to drink, they will drink even when people gallop by, they won't even look up. If they are learning and excited then it's a good learning experience for them. I depend on my horses to take care of themselves, and that means drinking on the trail when there is water regardless of what is going on around them. If they can't at least learn this one little thing they need a new line of work. haha :+P

What annoys me is when I am with other riders who ride up on another horse drinking and they just let their horses barge right on into the water without even noticing first that the other horse already drinking is a stallion. (note: the red ribbon on the tail does not mean get as close as you can!) People really need to learn to pay attention to more than just their own selves. I had one person complain to me that so and so just up and left the water stop and then I said, well that horse is a stallion. The stallion rider was the polite one by moving out of the way of the inattentive rider. (my horses are all geldings)

I personally don't like to get close to horses I don't know in any kind of a drinking situation. Last month at a ride I patiently stayed back at a creek crossing and it was a good thing I did as the horse in front backed up 4 ot 5 feet and tried to nail my horse with a cow-kick. Missed but only because I was keeping my horse back. I would prefer if other riders in front would drink, then get their horses out of my way so I can let my horse drink.

Just so you don't think I'm rude and run of leaving everybody at water stops, I don't. If I ever leave somebody with a drinking horse I only do so after asking if it is ok. If my horses nose is out of the water before their horses nose hits the water I don't have a problem leaving without permission. I also have taught my juniors when we get to water, as soon as their horse is done drinking to get it out of the way AND if their horse won't drink to not just stand there fiddling around, especially when you are blocking people. Get out of the way then if you want come back when it's clear again but don't back things up. You have to be courteous to other riders just as much as you have to take care of your own horse.

Happy Trails,
Karen
in NV