Re: [RC] hypothetical trail etiquette question - rides2far

Now, if someone catches up with you on the trail or you somehow end
up riding  with others regardless of who does the catching up and they
ask you
to wait  at THEIR crew stop so their horses can drink (even if they
offer you
water,  too) but YOUR crew is waiting up ahead at a different spot and
you
want to go on, >

If you don't wait here's what will probably happen. Your horse leaves.
Theirs gets upset and won't drink so they give up and come on and catch
right back up with you. They're ticked at you so when you get to your
crew they don't stop, then your horse doesn't drink. Nobody got a drink
and nobody's happy.  The only time I haven't stopped was when someone had
water and *didn't* offer me any. If they want me to stop, they better
offer me a bucket too.  Usually, we all share water with everyone if we
can anyway, but you especially want to share with anyone that you hope
will stop with your horse.

One of my favorite memories was at a ride where about 4 of us were
running pretty hard in the lead.  I had put out a bucket of water on the
trail and told the others that they could have some if they stopped. One
lady's horse drained half the bucket and then she turned and started
trotting off. I think she just didn't know any better.  Nina Barnett was
on one of the other horses and she yelled, "Hey, Angie'll beat the hell
out of you if you drink her water and then leave her!" The lady looked
genuinely apologetic and waited for us. >g<

If you want to make a move on sombody my favorite way is what someone
described as "wiping a booger off your finger". You catch up with a pack
and sort of scrape them off as you go by. If you're going fast enough
they may stay with the pack you passed. :-) I don't much care for making
a move that requires passing any water.

P.S. You can't wait with everyone at every mudhole because people keep
showing up. If the new arrivals have more than one horse with them I
think of them as "the next group" and they can keep each other company.
If we were there first, we can leave first.

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!