Re: [RC] [RC] RC--DM Pad and Loin Rub - dixie midnight

> ...all of a sudden I got EXACTLY what you got.
> In the early fall.  In Florida.  Winter hairs
> are peeking up, old-growth summer hairs are
> thinking about falling out.

this is what I figured was the biggest culprit (just
because of the same timing last year with the other
horse)

Turned out that had nothing to do with it, oddly enough.

> First thing I did was check the No-Sweat!  Nope,
> that wasn't it.  Plenty soft, plenty flexible,
> looked and felt like new.

I don't think under normal circumstances it would cause
it on its own. I was just wondering, if, amongst all the
other things, it had contributed. The horse who rubbed
tends to be very thin skinned and "sensitive" (<roll eyes>).
He's the one who always looks like an appy in the spring
when he gets tick bites and the scabs slew off in
quarter-sized chunks.

Nope. Couldn't. The No-Sweat can only sit there. It's soft, flexible, and can't really cause a problem. We've tried the thin-skinned horses with No-Sweats and have had virtually no difficulties.

Can I safely spray ShowSheen on the DM pad?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! No, no, no, no. That's like OILING your horse's back! NEVER spray Show Sheen or any other slippery substance on your horse's back, or anything which contacts his back, regardless of whether you ride with a No-Sweat or not!!! Your saddle/pad will be going every which-way! Talk about balance problems!!! I'm checking out the source of that statement, and will, rest assured, nip THAT in the bud immediately. NO slippery stuff on your horse's back--ever. Yikes!!!!

I also think I need to check the inserts in my Skito, as they are getting long in the tooth and probably not providing the support they should be.

While it may be possible, I sorta doubt it. That's pretty good foam in there....but it probably won't hurt to look.....

> 2) The rider's position in the saddle does more to
> create soring and rubs than even poor saddle fits do!

This too, I'm sure was part of the problem. We did
much more downhill speed stuff than normal during the
ride and I'm sure I was getting less and less balanced
the more he went.

I'd bet that was part of it. Downhill forces the rider backwards, to compensate for the hill angle, thus putting more weight on the loin area of the saddle. Riding really "relaxed", and back in the saddle can do the same thing.

> I did notice that you mentioned you got the same thing
> a year ago...before you got your No-Sweat.

Yes - which is why I was suspecting the summer/winter coat
thing. The other horse is very short-backed and I was
surprised that she hadn't developed any loin rub prior
to then.

The other part could very well be a conformational change due to better fitness, and subsequent saddle fit problem. Yes, even with a treeless.

Thanks for everyone's help.

You're certainly most welcome, hope I've been of some help.

Karl
Dixie Midnight
No-Sweat vent pads
http://www.dixiemidnight.nv.switchboard.com