Re: [RC] Headaches/Dehydration? - DESERTRYDR1

I also got a killer headache last weekend while helping at a ride.  In my
case, it's probably a combination of things, dehydration being one possibility.

You need to watch what you eat and drink at a ride, and make sure you don't
let your blood sugar get low, and make sure that your are drinking MORE than
you
think you need.  It's easy to get caught up in the action and forget to eat
and drink.  I have a fanny pack stuffed with trail mix (the kind with nuts,
M&Ms and dried cranberries--my own mix)  which I munch on every hour or two.  I
also carry a water bottle, just as if I was riding, and set it down somewhere
in the area I'm working.  When it's empty, I go to my rig and get a fresh one.
(Good reason to take a break from the action, and stretch your legs)  I may
also, if I think I will be busy with no breaks, bring a cooler full of water
bottles to the vetting area.  I never go without drinking for more than 1/2
hour.  Mostly just sips, but occasionally I'll get really thirsty and drain a
whole bottle.  Like our horses, we can't rely on thirst to be an indicator of
how
much we need to drink.

Anything with caffeine will dehydrate you more unless you drink lots of water
with it.  I prefer tea to coffee, for a couple of reasons.  One, because it
doesn't leave that nasty coffee taste and bad breath.  Two, because the
caffeine dose is lower, so I don't get a rebound headache from lack of
caffeine.  (If
you are a regular coffee/caffeine drinker, a couple hours without your
regular dose of caffeine itself will trigger a hellacious headache)  Three,
because
I haven't had as bad a problem with feeling dehydrated as with coffee.

I also tend to have bad posture when I'm just standing around, and my neck,
back of head area gets tight.  So I have to watch myself for correct posture,
and do lots of stretching if I start to get tight.  In spite of it, I love to
work at rides.  You just have to learn to take as good of care of yourself as
you would of your horse if he were there!

jeri