Re: [RC] E-fence, E-dog collars for horse - Kristene Smuts

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, on and off line.  Got some requests to
share any solutions as it seems I'm not the only one with this "little"
problem!  Maybe start a support group? ;-))

I'm going to lump similar questions and reply that way, otherwise this will
become another very long dissertation.

1.  Give him a pasture mate .... He has his 1.5 yo colt buddy with him.  Did it
even when he was with the broodmare and his buddy.  He gets bored with their
company and turns his attention to more "interesting" pursuits.

2.  Give him toys .... Poked holes in the 5L oil bottles and put alfalfa cubes
in so that it was a "self reward" when he played with it.  He tried for about 5
minutes to get to the cubes, threw a hissy fit and stomped the bottle to death,
and turned his attention to the fence.  Threw empty feed bags in for him to
play with, with a bit of feed as incentive, but he's figured out how to get to
the "open" end then put his head right inside, ate the food and turned his
attention to the fence.  (Actually, this was a very good self-desensitising
exercise!)

3.  Hotwire .... installed that last night, so we'll see what happens now.

4.  Perhaps you could put a shed or a pen in his pasture and store just a bit
of hay in there for him to break into and munch on? (This one from Teresa van
Hove)  Excellent idea!  Together with the door with latches, I'll put this on
the list of "Amusements To do"

5.  On using the collar .... In addition to the collar, I would do the
underground wire thing as well.  When training with the collar, I would do so
from a hidden spot, so that he doesn't associate the shock with me.  This would
be my last resort, after all the other things.

I've spent hours watching him to try and figure out why he does it.  He has
more than enough hay to eat (wastes a lot); has plenty to drink (doesn't finish
what he has); he has company; he has (had before this cry for help) lots of
space to run and play; has shade and sun to choose from.  When his big boy
training starts, he'll definitely be taught to tie highline as I don't think I
would trust him in future not to break out of the portable corral at a ride.

Thanks again for all the tips and words of support!

Kristene