[RC] PAC Fire Prevention Plan - Stephanie Irving

The PAC camp is closed to the public due to fire danger until Sunday, September 7th.  Please read on. Alternate plans are in place.

With forests aflame all over the West, Fire Management rangers are concerned about the possibility of fire in the Gifford-Pinchot National Forest. The terrain is extremely dry and our forest fire crews and helicopter are on alert. The large number of PAC participants and visitors increases fire hazards to a forest which has been at a level III-IV fire danger for over a month now.

The Mt. Adams Ranger Station has closed the PAC site to the public until Sunday, September 7th. Riders may still camp in one of the 12 first-come, first-serve campsites at the Mt. Adams Horse Camp; however, no one will be allowed to camp in the PAC field until Sunday, September 7th. Due to this late notice, we have located a large field in Trout Lake for all teams and/or vendors who had planned to stay in the camp prior to the 7th. Please contact Chris Nielsen (nielsen@xxxxxxxxx; 509.395.2204), Stephanie Irving (sirving@xxxxxxxxx; 509.395.2065) or Zoe Woods (jelly@xxxxxxxxx; 509.395.2687) for more information on the location of the field. Non-competitors or visitors, please contact the Mt. Adams Ranger Station (509.395.3400) for more information on other designated camp sites (people or horse) available until September 7th.

Fortunately, the rangers at the Gifford-Pinchot would like to see the event happen, and they're working closely with us to help establish a safe place for everyone. In addition to the temporary closure of the camp, they've set out strict requirements to which the OC and the public must adhere.

The OC is required to station a  fire truck in camp 24-7, draft and distribute a fire evacuation plan, and set up a fold-up water tank and hose in one part of the field.

Participants and visitors must also abide by fire management's mandates which include:

1) Absolutely no smoking or fires or outside cooking.
2) All generators must have appropriate spark arrestors and be located on at least 4-feet by 4-feet of ground that is cleared to the soil. Generators that sit on 4x4 steel plates are okay too.
3) No ATVs or chainsaws or any motorized vehicles aside from your truck or automobile (the OC may have one at camp for emergencies only).
4) Limited trips in and out of camp.
5) Vehicals parked in with teams or vendors should consider themselves stationary for the duration (as much as possible). Vehicals used to go from vet check to vet check should park in the visitor parking area. We will have an attendant on duty to direct you to the proper parking area.

If you have any questions about the above fire plan, please contact any member of the Organizing Committee (listed above or on our website www.endurance.net/2003pac and/or the Mt. Adams Ranger Station (509.395.3400) and ask for Fire Management.

We understand the above restrictions may cause some inconvenience; however, the plan has been established for the safety of you, your horse, and the forest.

Raindancing in Trout Lake,
Stephanie Irving
2003 PAC

Please help us spread the word to all PAC participants and visitors, thanks.