[RC] E-fence, E-dog collars for horse - Teresa Van Hove

Kristene,

it would be easier to read your posts from the archives if you set
your mail pgm to insert line breaks after 70-80 characters.

As I understand it: You have tried your escape artist in a portable
type electric fence and he breaks thru.  He crawls or jumps thru
'normal' pasture fencing.

you want to try

A.  -adding strands of hot wire between rails of the standard
fencing.  -this usually works with fence crawlers , tho I dont know
how it would do on a horse that runs thru portable electric.

B. trying a dog collar, watching him and shocking him when you catch
him crawling thru the fence.  Smart as he sounds I'd bet he might
figure out that its safe to escape when you're not there. --might
try the underground electric dog fences in this case where if they
get so close to the fence it automatically zaps em.

C - this is not your's but assuming you can figure out how to keep
him in pasture he surely sounds like he'll have to be tied at any
endurance rides.  This is not so harsh.  You could always set up a
high-line pole (usually done here by welding or bolting a ring very
high on trailer and having a pole with ring for the other end of the
high-line -then you just anchor the pole with a couple of stakes and
guy ropes.  You either just have a tie ring in the middle or if
you're letting the horse back n forth on the high-line you put in a
knot to keep them several feet from the guy ropes.

D-  on amusements for him.  Perhaps you could put a shed or a pen in
his pasture and store just a bit of hay in there for him to break
into and munch on?  A rider I know had a horse who's big game in
life was breaking into her barn -she only had hay stored inside and
he apparently didn't trash the stack -just liked to get in there and
help himself.  She didn't go to a padlock, but the horse would move
rocks and undo baling twine to get in there as I recall hearing the
story.

Cheers,
Teresa