From: C. Eyler
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Overridden and Fit to Continue

Over and over I've heard vets say, at pre-ride meetings, that they'll only
be seeing the horses for a few minutes at vet checks, that they don't know
most of our horses and are depending on riders to tell them what's been
going on out on the trail.  That they're looking for input from the person
who knows the horse best.  [Not whining, not excuses -- information.]

At my first LD ride, I made sure to tell the vet at the mid-point check that
this was our first AERC ride (I knew the vet, from volunteering at lots of
rides, and thought she might not realize this was my first time competing).
And I told her that I wasn't surprised that my horse got all A's except for
a B on gut sounds, because he never starts drinking until we've done about
10 miles, though he ate and drank like crazy when we came in to that
vetcheck.  It's my responsibility to help the vet get a complete picture of
my horse's condition.  Then it's the vet's job to integrate all the
information available to judge the horse's fitness to continue.

Cindy