Re: [RC] Overridden and Fit to Continue - Joe Long

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:55:40 -0400, "Howard Bramhall"
<howard9732@xxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, this is a viable argument and there have been times in the past I have
thought this way, also.

First, let me say if a horse is in trouble, by all means, talk to the vet.
Tell them everything you know.

But, the competitive part of endurance, the part where it's a pass/fail test
at the vet check concerning lameness, heart rate and anything else related to
completing the vet check should be as objective as possible.  For a rider, who
personally knows the vet or vice-versa, this is where you get caveats thrown
into the game that should not be there.  For example, a well known rider comes
in with a horse that appears to be tired.  The vet tells the rider that the
horse needs to go slow or stop completely.  The rider agrees and promises to
slow down the next loop.  The vet, because he/she knows and trusts this
person, allows the horse to continue.

The above situation should not happen.  Period.

Why not?  If the horse is getting tired but is capable of finishing
safely at a slow pace, and the rider is known to be one who will take
care of the horse and go at a slow pace, why shouldn't the rider be
allowed to continue?  Why should the good riders be penalized because
some riders are idiots?

IF the horse is in some sort of trouble, maybe, you should pull him out of the
game.  Then, by all means, speak with the vet.

If the horse is in trouble, that is not the same as getting tired and
needing a slower pace to *safely* continue.

But, until then, let's handle the vet checks objectively, the way they were
intended.

Hmmm, I thought the "way they were intended" was to help the riders
complete safely, and provide safety controls for the horses.  FTM it
is impossible to make a pull/continue decision 100% objectively, the
experience and even the intuition of the vet must enter into the
decision.  Why not the experience and reliability of the rider as
well?

Sometimes the will of the rider to complete an endurance ride influences a
ride vet more than it should and this is what I'm talking about.  Take it out
of play and our vet checks will become more objective.

Yes, that is a gain, but IMO by doing that we lose more than we gain.

When I made the comparison between FEI rides and AERC ones I was speaking of
the fact that at FEI rides (and, someone please correct me if I don't have
this right), the vet and the rider do not interact during the Vet Check.  Not
at all.  The reason, I believe, is to show impartiality and fairness to all.
All riders treated equally.  Imagine that!

Ugh!!! I think not allowing communication between vet and rider at a
vet check is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard in endurance.
In a process that is difficult enough, with insufficient information
to begin with, we withold vital information from the person who is in
the best position to know it?  Egad!

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx