Re: [RC] Necropsy - Stephanie E Caldwell

>Ever hear of Dr. Salk? Ever read any stats on the AIDS virus and the life expectancy of anyone who now carries the virus as opposed to those that were infected in the eighties?

Ever read the stats for AIDS patients whom took some of the natural "old world" remedies vs modern medicine?

>>golly, I sure hope I don't park next to one of your horses that has not been vaccinated for strangles, Potomac Fever, Rhino. and in case you aren't included in the Mandatory COGGINS TEST that horses have to have to cross borders, I want to inform you that there are indeed Mandatory tests that our equine partners must have, and I am grateful for it.

Yes, my horse has a Coggins. She gets one every six months, and my vet tends to see her every month or so in the course of things. She has blood tests regularly, but vaccines aren't worth the risk. She gets Rabies (had it twice in six months now) and Tetanus.

Know what makes more horses Strangles carriers? The new Intranasal vaccine, according to several vets in my area. It scares me to take my mare in with vaccinated horses. What bearing does it have that I don't vaccinate? Potomac Fever, Rhino, and Strangles probably won't kill her since she's young, but the vaccines weaken their immune systems. WNV I vaccinated for one year, but won't until the vaccine is more proven. Ever looked at the adverse events reports on some of the vaccines? They're quite scary, so I don't vaccinate for things that don't kill them.

>>Is that what you REALLY believe? that you can just pass a drug test and that is it for doing the most challenging sport in the equine world?  You might be better off in the show ring.

Well, I always heard that as long as your horse was sound, happy, and drug free you could compete. Where was I wrong?

>>But the IDEAS shared on RC and this thread is to try to prevent death and injuries to our equine athletics.

The death that started this thread probably wouldn't have happend under a competent rider, unless I miss took the entire thread. What good would a necropsy have done?

>>Many have talked about education, there are books out there as has been pointed out for everyone to read. These books are written by the best in Endurance, these people with more experience than I will ever have in my life didn't come into this sport just to pass a drug test. Read the books, if you already have, maybe you need a refresher course on how to do endurance to the best of you and your horses ability and for the safety of both you and to other riders.

They're guildlines to go by, and I take some and leave some. I know what works for my horse, but when you start talking about making some of the changes that have been discussed you're infringing on personal freedom. I will not attend a ride that requires helments, though I will probably wear one in competition. That's my personal decision. I do not believe in being told how to live my life and care for my animals, period. We have rules and safeguards now, from my point of view I don't see how additional rules would have changed the death being discussed.

>I certainly do not have such a Cavalier attitude that I would ever enter this sport to just compete and live my life. I value my life, my horse's life and the lives of all the riders that I compete with, and with the rules in place there is a much greater chance that all will survive.

Rules only affect those that live by them, the type of people to run a horse into the ground probably does not follow rules in the first place. Why should I be required to wear a helment? What bearing does it have on you whether I wear one or not? Are we going to require healed shoes next? I'm sorry, I will not support rules such as that.

Steph