Re: [RC] Necropsy - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 8/26/2003 7:09:44 PM Pacific Standard Time, sec@xxxxxxxx writes:

It seems *very* unfair to force me to put my horse through that should she die at a ride. It should be the rider/owner's option, not a mandatory rule that it be preformed.

Hi Steph, I'm not sure about a "rule" either.  But I did wonder about your reference to "putting the horse through a necropsy"...... You aren't putting the horse "through" anything.  Believe me, the idea of my beautiful horse being opened up was horrible to me, but knowing that he was in a better place (or even just not aware anymore depending on your belief system) made it possible to do that and I knew that I would never even remotely feel ok about losing him unless I knew what happened to him.  To be honest, if we weren't so far from UC Davis, I would have donated him for necropsy/study, but that wasn't feasible from Santa Ynez. I do understand that there are alot of people who feel as you do though.

Sylvia