[RC] whack'um...but when? - Jonni Jewell

You know, each horse is different, and each training issue and situation is
different. If I had a horse that had never, ever before reared, and one day,
decided to try it, I very well, might whack him a good one between the ears.
I think habits form and develop by how much they have gotten away with in
the past. if they rear that first time, and in their little pea brains, get
away with it, then it becomes a whole different situation to deal with, as
it is habitual. The original post, was about a horse that sounds like it has
developed rearing as a habit. Smacking it now, very well might not work, and
indeed cause more, different kinds of problems to deal with.

When I was 5, I took my first real lessons, though I started riding at two.
My trainer was working with me one day, and my pony bucked. She immediately
yelled at me to "hit her". I had one of those leather popper bats. I spanked
her across the rump, and she bucked again...I was yelled at to "hit her
again", and I did....again, a buck (or now, most likely kicks, at the fact
she was getting her butt spanked by a 5 year old), and after the 3rd or 4th
buck/kick, she did not do it again. My trainer told me "good, now tell her
she is good, pet her, and ask her to walk on again". Pony never bucked with
me again. It did two things. Established with the pony, that I was able to
correct her, and she was not going to get away with things, and for me, I
was so scared of my trainer yelling at me, I never got afraid of the ponies
actions. I ended up a very brave rider.

The timing of what and how we correct our horses is everything.  Mistimed,
and you can create a whole new level of issues. Timed right, and correctly,
and you may have stopped issues from getting more serious. We all have ideas
on how to do things on this list. Each person needs to take that
information, and decide what might work for their situation.  For those new
to the sport of even owning horses. Sometimes you need to just go with what
sounds like it makes the most sense for you, and your horses.
Jonni