Re: [RC] whack'um...but when? - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

All of us learn not to do things when something horrible or at least distasteful happens as a result. Running through the kitchen (like mom always tells us not to do), we skid, do a sliding stop into the refrigerator and end up with a chicken lip, as my kids called them. You learn not to run in the kitchen. Most of us prefer to arrange our horses' training so that they don't need or want to do something stupid/dangerous, but if they do it's a good idea to be able to arrange the universe so that retribution is swift and recognisable. I have an Arab mare that used to do the "Arab head thing" of tossing it back when she was asked to go at a walk, but wanted to move faster. After a couple of near misses (and I'd already had 12 stitches in my lower lip from a previous accident years ago when I was lucky enough to have an excellent plastic surgeon's office right next to the stable), I decided that I'd have a hard time finding a plastic surgeon of any standard in the desert near Abu Sir so I'd better call a stop to this quickly.

I didn't hit her....really I didn't. But I did hold my left hand with the knuckles down in exactly the spot that she tossed her head to. She hit herself....a few times since it wasn't loud or even all that painful, just unpleasant.... and she stopped. You don't actually have to hit the horse....just arrange the universe that something, preferably loud and nonlethal, is going to be occupying the same spot as the offending body part at the beginning of the offending accident. Let them whack themselves....that's what it really boils down to. Forces and immovable noisy objects, right Truman?

Maryanne