RE: [RC] Training accident opinions - Andrea Day

When I start colts, I have a training agreement that basically states that if I get wrecked, it's my problem. If the horse gets wrecked, it's the owner's. I make sure I'm real clear on what an owner wants, and most of the people I deal with expect to get a horse back that has been exposed to trail conditions and traffic, and they are horsepeople that know what kinds of things can happen. I do what I can within the time frame given, and try to give the horse a "graduation" -- sometimes a LD ride, sometimes an IMO ride, a camping trip, or just a general trail rid in company--just something to let the owner know the horse has been worked enough to handle certain conditions. They're still GREEN, but usually pretty well ready to go.

Yes, I've been wrecked. Lots of little dings, a couple doozys. There have been a few dings on horses, but I've only twice wrecked a horse. Once was a mare that whirled to bolt, fell on a rock, and injured a knee bad enough to lay her up 6 mos. One was a gelding that fractured his skull on a tree by pulling back and slinging his head. The owner KNEW he was a bad bad puller and wanted him tied that way as he wanted a hunting horse that he could tie to a tree. Horse was fine, but it was a weird deal. Looked like someone had shattered a dinner plate under his hide. Vet's assessment: We'll watch him in the clinic for 24 hrs. then turn him out 8 weeks and, leave him alone till it heals. I'd gotten him under saddle, so I kept my training fee. Prior to the fracture, he'd already wrecked a ton of equipment and torn up a trailer and a hitching post, so the owner wasn't too mad at me. Found out the next trainer tied him to a low metal hitch rack, and he tore it apart, cut his leg on the weld, and "pulled down"-- tore the muscles in--his neck so that it always looked funky. Owner used him for a while as a pack horse, but Mr. Pull came to his end when he pulled back and the lead snapped. He rolled over and broke his neck. The owner admitted he had created this monster. He'd never been handled as a colt, and the first time tied the fella used a rotten rope.

Oddly enough, colts never hurt me, it was the old reprobates that got me. Finally gave up on spoiled horses, but learned to despise the owner that said, "He's broke, and all he need is some exercise" and later I find he's bucked like a demon all three times he was saddled.

Yes, I take my glasses off to ride. No, I don't expect my deductable paid, and I think you should tell your "trainer" that if it wasn't in the contract, too bad, and she needs to re-write it clearly for the next suck......er, that is, person.
Andrea

<b>Get MSN 8</b> and enjoy automatic e-mail virus protection. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus