Re: [RC] whack em?? - Allegra

  Our old, now gelding, used to rear when you tried to worm him.  Well he went up and hit his head on the run in, awful sound!  Any ways, he has never reared to avoid the wormer since that, no matter where we are.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] whack em??

I've been reading about hitting the horse over the head versus not hitting him if he rears. I had a horse that would rear, but not often. Usually when something startled him or he just was having a bad day. One day I was riding him on a narrow tree lined trail when a deer popped out of the bushes. He reared and hit his head on a tree branch. At the same time, my helmet hit the branches and made a terrible sound. He never ever reared again after that. So I guess a boink on the head really does work.

Bonnie
So. Calif.