Re: [RC] whack em?? - MtnRondi

I've been reading about hitting the horse over the head versus not hitting him if he rears. I had a horse that would rear, but not often. Usually when something startled him or he just was having a bad day. One day I was riding him on a narrow tree lined trail when a deer popped out of the bushes. He reared and hit his head on a tree branch. At the same time, my helmet hit the branches and made a terrible sound. He never ever reared again after that. So I guess a boink on the head really does work.

Bonnie
So. Calif.