From: "Maggie Mieske" <mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Deblyons54@xxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 8:32 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Endurance horses to slaughter?

I haven't read this whole thread but here's a thought for doing something
humane with a horse one must get rid of for whatever reason.  At Michigan
State, you can donate a horse as a blood donor.  They actually get taken
care of quite well from what I am told (not firsthand experience) and when
blood is needed, they are put under and exsanguinated.  Then they are
euthanized.  We know some people who have donated horses to this program.
They were quite happy knowing that their horse helped save another.  Not
sure what the requirements are healthwise...I know they require a negative
Coggins here in Michigan which I assume would be standard anywhere.  They
probably have to be reasonably healthy... the people we know simply had
older horses that had outlived their usefulness and they did not want them
to end up afraid or hurt at an auction or at slaughter.  Something to think
about....
Miles of smiles,
Maggie