Re: [RC] [RC] Endurance horses to slaughter? - Deblyons54

> A lot of people were upset when a trainer I was taking lessons from put
her
> favorite 14 yr old horse down because of unsoundness & she chose not to
> support her into old age.? It was her comment that impressed me back then.
> She couldn't justify the cost for 10/15 years and refused to give/sell her
> to a "good home" as she had experienced to many times over the years how
the
> 'good homes' had to pass the horse on at some point & the horse ended up
in
> circumstances that were less than desireable.

I donated my 24 year old Appy mare to a state Youth Ranch after hearing from a friend that she had good luck donating an older horse to them. I had visions of her being used in the youth programs. After donating her I discovered that they used most of the donated horses just like their donated furniture, they sold them at auction to raise money for their facility. I have no idea what happened to this horse and would have much rather euthanized her then have her end up in parts unknown. Even "good homes" are often not permanent and sometimes there are just not good homes to be found for unsound, unsafe or unusable horses. I put a mare down last year who was not useable and had too many problems to mention. I felt much better about it than giving her to a home that made promises they couldn't deliver or having her end up in inhumane conditions.