[RC] Locking stifles - Paulastk

My gelding had a locking stifle last year and it got worse with the amount of
riding instead of better.  So, I had his stifles injected with iodine and
almond oil by my vet.  You are supposed to ride them consistently for at least
2
weeks every day for at least 20 minites.  Well, thats not a problem for
endurance riders.  I did exactly that and it was better from the start.  He
would
slip them every 5 to 10 strides before the injections and after, it was every
20
or so strides.  And now he still slips every so often but hardly a mention
its improved so very much.  My vet says she has done many on all disiplines of
horses and some need to be done twice before they stop, if they are severe.
She said she could feel my horses tendons were loose before she injected them
and had no problem finding them for the injections. There are many small
injections and they are painful and bleed some but my guy never acted sore at
all and
was willing to trot out like nothing happened the very next day.
I have heard of other ways of treating the stifle locking but I would be hard
pressed to say, cut them surgically and the hormone treatment is very
expensive.  So I am quite happy with the injections.  My vet says it either
works or
it doesn't there is no down side ( except if you got an infection).  In other
words it wouldn't damage the tendon.  I think she said it basically just
tightens the tendon up.  WEll it worked , that s all I know.
Paula and Cosmo