[RC] [RC] Endurance horses to slaughter? - donating - Sarah W

--- MAILER-DAEMON@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I can vouch for the fine care at Michigan State
University since I have lived right down the road
all
my life.  I have also known people that donated
older
or not perfectly healthy horses for the same reason
and they know their horses received very good care.
would dare say that there are donation programs all
universities all over the nation, not just in
Michigan.  I believe there are many alternatives to
slaughter houses, but people tend to take the first
idea that pops in their heads.  YMCA camps also take
donation horses that are older and safe for low key
trail riding or demonstration (brushing instruction,
etc), which is tax deductable.

Sarah
Lansing, MI

--- Maggie Mieske <mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I haven't read this whole thread but here's a
thought for doing something humane with a horse
one
must get rid of for whatever reason.  At Michigan
State, you can donate a horse as a blood donor.
They actually get taken care of quite well from
what
I am told (not firsthand experience) and when
blood
is needed, they are put under and exsanguinated.
Then they are euthanized.  We know some people who
have donated horses to this program.  They were
quite happy knowing that their horse helped save
another.  Not sure what the requirements are
healthwise...I know they require a negative
Coggins
here in Michigan which I assume would be standard
anywhere.  They probably have to be reasonably
healthy... the people we know simply had older
horses that had outlived their usefulness and they
did not want them to end up afraid or hurt at an
auction or at slaughter.  Something to think
about....
Miles of smiles,
Maggie