[RC] Equine Dentist vs Vet teeth floating - Magnumsmom

I've had experiences going both ways.  Out in CA my
most excellent vet did an excellent float.  There
are also excellent Equine Dentists out there.  But
there is one (was out in CA) who is not a DVM and
yet would sedate illegally without having a DVM on
hand.  There was a big bru-ha-ha about it a couple
years ago.  The worst part though was atleast one
"float" done by this person took so much tooth off a
teenage TB that the horse's molars no longer touched.
Horses do not have unlimited amount of dental material.
Once the last of the tooth has errupted and is gone,
there is no more tooth.

On the other hand, while I have an excellent vet
here in NM I asked him about floating Blue's teeth
and he said Blue doesn't need to be done and might
not need to be done for years.  I know this is not
right because Blue has an overbite and needs dental
work more often than once every 5 years!  I will be
getting recommendations from this area for someone
to do Blue's teeth and I'll go with either a regular
veterinarian or equine dentist, whoever comes highly
recommended.

So, I think it really depends on the person. I don't
want to see a non-DVM sedating my horse. All sedation
carries risk no matter how slight.  OK, this is
completely noncommital but I hope it helps.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM