[RC] [RC] Question for Heidi - Equine Dentists - Deanna German

Amber wrote:
What do you as a Vet think of the new Equine Dentists that are coming out of
the school in Idaho? Or any other school.

My opinion, FWIW.

After having her teeth floated 3 straight years by local vets, this year I
ponied up the $$ and trailered her to a local vet clinic where she could be
worked on by a real Equine Dentist.

John Fortcamp is his name and I do believe he teaches at the Idaho school. I
am absolutely amazed by what he was able to do. He examined my horse's
mouth, then asked me if I was having trouble getting her to flex at the poll
and lower her head. Yes, I was. It was because her teeth were meshing like
gears. I knew she had hooks in there, but I had no idea about the "gear
meshing". Her top incisors were also longer than the bottom. He used a
Dremel tool to even them out after he power floated the molars. He told me
and showed me exactly what he was going to do before he did it.

He worked on her for about an hour while I watched closely. He put a bit
seat on her too. The dental work made an immediate difference in how she
responded to the bit the next time I rode. It wasn't cheap, but well worth
it. Heck, I was spending half this much every year and the job wasn't
thorough enough. I'm hoping I won't have to see John more than every other
year.

John was recommended to me by riders coming from 4 different disciplines --
dressage, H&J, showing and distance riding -- none of whom knew each other.
I'd have no problem recommending him to anyone else. My vet at this clinic
is happy to have him come in since it's for the good of the horses (she
doesn't have a passion for learning how to do it herself).

Deanna