[RC] Re:Saddle saga and pain - Deblyons54

To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 8:18 AM
Subject: [RC] Saddle saga and pain

I too have a wide backed Morgan, actually I doubt there is a wither there at all but she is an easy keeper to the extreme. I used a reining saddle with an Arab tree in her first year under saddle. Fit her very nicely except that it was too long and had NO padding for me. Traded that off for a Tucker trail saddle with wide tree. I thought it would fit her OK with use and breaking in. Not so, this mare does not lose weight with use. She can gain 100 pounds just by sniffing a flake of alfalfa. The Tucker saddles must be made for very steep withered horses because their "wide" is pretty near a regular western tree as near as I can tell. I've had several Crates saddles including several barrel racing saddles that I completed lots of endurance miles in. Crates makes a great western saddle. So - I am back to Crates. This time a "Lady Reiner" that weighs in at about 25#, very nice leather and nice deep seat - did I mention full Quarter horse bars and a short skirt? I have another Crates Reining seat that my husband uses and finds very comfortable and secure. I rode in that saddle one season and it caused pain in my knees but I was riding much farther than I tend to ride now so I'm hoping for the best.