[RC] Teaching Horses to be Braver - Suvut

Deanna, I too have a young Arab (5 yo) that is a bit of a spooker.? But compared to my 19 yo Arab/Saddlebred cross, he ain't EVEN.? (lol)? You guys don't know spook till you've been on Rocky!? Rocky got progressively worse as he aged -- to the point that nobody could ride out his spooks.? I've got a hip injury and two torn rotator cuffs to prove it!?

Now my young guy spooks like a "normal" Arab (is there any such thing?).? And as we accumulate the training miles, he is getting better.? What works with him is lots of praise for being brave and at the first hesitation of something scary, urging him to move forward -- even if it's just at a walk.? Of course, the bonding with your horse is very important for your mare to have confidence in you.

I've seen your mare go down the trail.? She's awesome and WAY worth the time you are spending on her.? She will eventually be a super endurance horse -- even if she IS part Saddlebred!!? :)

(See ya at Spook Run!!)

Susan (from Louisville) -- AERC #1108