[RC] affecting the horse - Laura Hayes

I loved Steph's story (and can hardly wait to hang out with you at PAC!!!! -
funny how we have to travel across the country or the ocean to see each
other!)  I have had this very thing happen.  One of the best moments I have
had on a horse, when I REALLY felt connected and part of him, was at Cia's
ride a few years ago.  Music was feeling great and left the last check at a
canter.  We passed several horses and about three miles from the finish, one
decided to try to stay with us.  The trail was single file down into ravines
over rocks and up the other side.  Around trees and rocks - very technical
for as fast as we were going.  We were rolling right along and I really had
to concentrate on the markers to not lose the trail, and I would think left
and Music would go left, or think slower and he would slow - I don;t think I
used my hands at all.  In my lifetime on horseback, I have rarely had such a
connection with a horse.  When the trail widened, the horse behind us pulled
ahead and I figured we would just follow them in, but thought, 'oh shoot,
wouldn't it be fun to beat them...."
Sure enough, Music kicked into high gear and flew over the line a length
ahead.  It was exhilerating.  In Julies' book she talks about the few times
when she was REALLY REALLY part of the horse - that was one for me - truly
memorable.

Laura Hayes AERC#2741