Re: [RC] [RC] affecting the horse - Laurie Durgin

RAscal used to be 'chicken hearted" It helped to take him out with Champ, then he turned into a plug. But when alone we still had to deal with the trash on the road, the Turkeys in the air , the 4 wheelers,dirtbikes(he has actually learned to get off the trail when he hears them coming, he has radar ears, before I figure out which way they are coming), the deer bursting out in front of us. He drops and spins--I started making him return to orginal position as soon as I could ,so he has almost stopped that ,voluntarily.Although he did leap sideways and spin when the branch broke off the tree next to him and fell about 20 feet.(He is used too me snapping little branches,but this was a certified pine log coming at him.) Even though he got better with about 1.5 yrs.of riding alone, I do use a secure saddle.
It saved me from a sideways spill, when he passed the huge 'tumbleweed" and 'noticed it, while I was drinking ice water, which the top burst off, wetting him with icy water, so he could jump again. I did ride sideways for a few strides.
I occasionally got off and muttered unflattering things about him rather discouraged, but he'd calm down, till I think he felt foolish and I almost never have to do that.And if I do it's only for about 20 feet now.
I too found singing, or just talking about anything seemed to make him think I wasn't worried, especially in a monotone.That and if I embarass him by saying "it's only a rock ,you silly goose".
The more confident I got , the more confident he got.
Same with working with Honey.Sometimes I forget it isn't Rascal I am riding and she seems more relaxed.I now 'feel like" I can handle her bolts, so I am more confident about training her.(An she actually knows what STOP means) Rascal doesn't't understand what stop or stand mean,and Honey doesn't know what go or faster mean.Arabs sure keep you on your toes. I think I will not have to worry about senility a they give me "complex ' problems to solve, and make me have to think.

I take my greenies out in totally unpredictable circumstances and I tell them stories, sing them songs, recite poetry. We herd dogs, play hopscotch with stones and practice half-halts. We stop to raid a grape vine and I share the booty. They learn quickly that they never know what to expect, but that an outing with me is interesting and fun.... even when it's sort of roller coaster ride funor two, a couple of gamoosas submerging for a bath in the canal,

GAMOOSAS????????

Meanwhile, they count on me to be utterly fearless and calm ...... and I've learned that you can hide a lot of terror under the multiplication tables.

Maryanne
 Cairo, Egypt