Re: [RC] affecting the horse - Jonni Jewell

Do you, or anyone out there in Ridecamp world have any positive ideas how
to deal with this?  He's not mean, nor treacherous, it's just that my
balance isn't as great as it used to be and I'm a bit worried about falling
off him.  And, if I'm trotting along, he might very well slam on the brakes.
He spooks in place, doesn't bolt, spin, run away, rear or
any really hard-core bad stuff.  But he doesn't relax at a trot.<<<

This is more common of a problem that you might think. My first suggestion
would be to see if you can get someone to go riding with you, but THEY ride
your horse. Find someone you trust to be relaxed with your horse, who is an
excellent rider, and can deal with any of the spooks your horse "might" do.
You might find that if the rider does not have those expectations and fears
that you have, that the horse indeed will go along nice, trotting down the
trail. Now, what this does for YOU is, that if you see that indeed, the
horse can relax more, and be a good horse, not spook bad, and move out
safely at a trot, you will gain the confidence to ride the horse
yourself....in a more relaxed manner.  Or, it could back fire, the horse
could spook with the other rider, and you will still be nervous about asking
for that nice moving out trot. But I would guess that it would give the
horse some experience and confidence to move along without slamming on the
brakes.

Also, if it has been awhile since you got to ride a nice quiet horse that
does no wrong, maybe find a friend with one to go for a ride, to remind YOU
how it is to relax, and not anticipate goofy behavior.

I have three to work right now. One who is experienced, and fairly steady,
only small spook. One who is green, can do stupid stuff at any time, but
usually NOT spook and shy. And one who we have had the longest, who is the
most work to ride. Spooks at everything. I am more worn out after 10 miles
with him, than if I rode either of the others 25 or more miles! But, he is
slowly coming around.......slowly.....<grin>

Jonni