Re: [RC] How do I train my horse to be braver? - A. Perez

I haven't seen any response to this post (on the archives, at
least), so I'll take a crack at it.  The problem is a horse that
spooks and doesn't want to move out on the trail alone.

One approach to this problem, if you can find another rider to
help, would be to ride out with your riding partner.  Once a
good pace has been established, have your riding buddy drop back
(or turn around) until they are out of sight for a moment or
two, then let them catch up and ride together again for a few
minutes.  Repeat the drop back/turn around, only this time let
the time apart last a little bit longer.  Again, let your riding
buddy catch up, and ride together again. Keep doing this,
gradually extending the amount of time you ride solo.  You can
vary the drill by letting them go ahead sometimes (you drop
back) and other times you ride ahead, or 'leap frog' each other
(take turns taking the lead and dropping back). You won't want
to do this for hours on end, start with just a few repeats of
the drop back/catch up cycle, and add a few more each ride as
you extend the time apart

 The point is to teach your mare that, sooner or later, she
won't be alone any more, and the buddy will return eventually,
so just relax.

 This is also a good way to retrain a horse that hates to be
left bhind and fights to keep pace with faster horses.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag