Re: [RC] snakes on trail vs turkeys - Born Country

Yep, turkeys are bad enough...but how about emus?
Near here is a great riding place called St. Marks
Wildlife Refuge where we ride along dikes, with
alligators on either side that no longer startle our
horses when they ker-splash into the water.  There are
also deer, turkeys, otters, snakes and raccoons, just
to name a few of the critters we've run up on.
Apparently, someone got the brilliant notion of
turning their unwanted emus loose in the refuge!
Haven't encountered one yet, but I'm constantly on the
look-out for that thundering herd to bear down on my
poor unsuspecting horse any day.

Esther

--- Larry Miller <jcmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Try mom turkeys with a bunch of little ones.  Now
there is a good spook bound to happen.  Had one of
my juniors ride right over mom turkey and little
ones.  Mom took off, Becky fell off but missed the
little ones.  Prince ran away but not far.  Ever top
a hill and startle a bunch of turkeys?  I swear the
saddle horn goosed me when my horse stopped dead in
his tracks.  Also have chased turkeys down trail
much to my horse's discomfort!  Too funny.  Would
rather run across turkeys on trail than a bear.
Life is quite interesting when booking down trail.
It is a matter of never quite relaxing and always be
ready tor the 'big gotcha'!!  Jeanie