Re: [RC] old endurance races - Barbara McCrary

That must have been the event that the film "Bite The Bullet" was adapted from.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 8:31 AM
Subject: [RC] old endurance races

There is an excellent book on a 600 mile endurance race from Wyo to Denver, Colorado in 1908. Vet checks every 50 miles. My local library has one of 500 copies. Each copy is numbered. The author has a note at the back that researching old endurance races is his passion. The source of all his data is given from newspaper accounts of the time. I will get the title later if others don't have it now. Tom Van Gelder even had it as a question on the Big Horn 100 entry form a couple years ago. There were true horsemen riding endurance then. The winners agreed to tie after 7 days and 600 miles to save their horses damage and split the purse.

    Jim