[RC] Another Newbie - Patti Kuvik

My experience in
this sport tells me that most riders are by nature rather bold<<
I'm just starting to ride again after six or so years and am just starting
again. Timidly. Endurance has always been my dream but right now I'm just
hoping to be able to condition for a couple of 25 LD's this winter. I used
to do a lot of trail, parades and SAR. I'm totally intimidated by folks who
have ridden all their life, jump, event, cross swaying bridges and other
stuff that's not close to the ground. I'm scared of breaking something
(injury = no work/no hay/no groceries), afraid I'm getting too old to think
of starting something like this. The list of stuff I'll have to bring to a
ridecamp to safely provide for me and my horse is overwhelming (did I
mention I'm not a camper?).
I'm afraid all the Arab riders will laugh at my funny walking Peruvian
horse, or get mad at me because her termino throws up mud clods (I didn't
see a tail ribbon color for "mud slinger"). I don't have anyone to crew for
me and I'm shy around strangers.
BUT - I just got my AERC new member stuff in the mail yesterday and felt
like a kid again. I read the fantastic ride stories and remember when I rode
my horse to the top of a mountain. Since I've been lurking on RC, I've been
impressed by your sharing/caring attitudes toward each other (gosh, even
your disagreements have been pretty pleasant).  By all the information
someone took the time to put together in the FAQ's and newbie sections.
Bold? I think not. But willing to try. I can do it.

Patti Kuvik
Vail AZ

On of the reasons that Endurance Riding appealed to me is the motto that
to continue".  Two very powerful statements that were very definitive in
what they were saying.  There were several other things that made
Endurance
Rides very appealing too.  These were a limited distance program that
alowed
a person to get acquainted to train for bigger events which were 50 and
100
milers without pressure; also the fact that people involved in the sport
were friendly and genuinely interested in helping a new person get
started.
They helped you understand what you had to do to finish and be fit to
continue.  <<<<