Re: [RC] Another Newbie - rides2far

Endurance has always been my dream but right now I'm
just> hoping to be able to condition for a couple of 25 LD's this
winter. >

That's great! You're way ahead of those who are still planning to do it
"someday". :-)

I'm totally intimidated by > folks who> have ridden all their life,
jump, event, cross swaying bridges and > other> stuff that's not close to
the ground.

Don't be. They've had so many injuries that they're arthritic in every
joint and you can out run them if necessary. >g<

I'm scared of breaking > something
(injury = no work/no hay/no groceries),

Think positive. Consider those episodes to be a forced rest, weight loss
vacations.

afraid I'm getting too old
to think>

You'll fit in perfectly then.

The list of stuff I'll have to
bring to a  ridecamp to safely provide for me and my horse is
overwhelming

If you remember your horse, you can borrow anything else that you forget.
Once people get to know you it's OK to forget your horse. You can borrow
one from the person who forgot to bring their other horse's rider.

I'm afraid all the Arab riders will laugh at my funny walking
Peruvian

By the time we've watched as many trot-outs as we've watched...they *all*
move funny!

horse, or get mad at me because her termino throws up mud clods

I'm picturing a 4 legged roto-tiller going down the trail. Sounds like it
would be pretty entertaining. I'd expect that they'd appreciate the show.
Balance a glass of wine on top of your helmet and they'll really
appreciate you. :-)

I don't have anyone to
crew for> me and I'm shy around strangers.

If you need someone to hold your horse, choose a man who looks as if his
enduro-wife has him whipped into his "yes honey" mode. Order him with
authority to hold your horse.  Do not try this unless it's during
competition. This sort of veteran knows not to aggrevate a temporarily
insane woman in competition mode. It will not compromise his masculinity
to obey since he knows he is dealing with a psychopath and is simply
being smart to obey.  He will probably be relieved to have an easy job
which will protect him from those who want to order him to refill buckets
or watch kids.

BUT - I just got my AERC new member stuff in the mail yesterday and
felt like a kid again.

Now you're talkin'. Enjoy!

I've been
impressed by your sharing/caring attitudes toward each other (gosh, >
even> your disagreements have been pretty pleasant).

It is very important that we all remain friends. We never know whose
horse ours will bond with over a *long* stretch of trail.

Bold? I think not. But willing to try. I can do it.

I give her one season before she starts looking for her name in the
points standings and getting competitive. >g<  Good luck Patti. Hope you
have a great ride. I love reading about someone getting started because
it reminds me what I loved so much about this sport when I found it.

Angie