Re: [RC] declining 100s - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

When we tried to start endurance here, most of the people who quit when the UAE/FEI started running the show were people who were more interested in going places on their horses than they were in running in circles. Ride management LOVED the loops, and some riders liked them because they were easy...but the ones who got fed up first were the horses. I can't tell you how many puzzled riders told me that "for some weird reason my horse just hates going out in the desert anymore". Well, duh. One of the things that was hard here was the fact that the desert is about the only place that riders could condition at any speed (countryside, besides being scary to a lot of riders here, is a lot of stop and go....with stop being a very abrupt event when you suddenly round the corner on a flock of goats.). But for the horses it became so routine and miserable that they began, sensibly, to refuse.

If you HAVE to have loops, the best thing I can see is to do them clockwise and then counterclockwise with a different loop in the middle. At least it's sort of different. But to be successful in endurance, horses have to be fairly smart, and one of the obvious areas that horses may even be smarter than us is in understanding terrain. So they will find it tiresome before we do.

Maryanne
Cairo, Egypt