Re: [RC] New 30 minute rule for 50s - Long - Heidi Smith

>If the rule says 'in writing before the ride', I consider the ride meeting being AT the ride not BEFORE the ride. I would think that  would clearly mean  in the pre ride literature sent out to us in advance of a ride. I am asking for clarification from someone that knows, on one of those fine points that does warrant clarification.  When a person leaves home for a ride, he is under certain assumptions about what he and his horse can expect as per their personal level of condition. If he knows one hour is sufficient for his horse, but 30min may be  cutting it close, and he is investing time and money he has the opportunity to make his decision.

Many rides hand you a list of criteria at signup or at the briefing.  This is indeed "before the ride."  And it is a pretty big stretch to think that anyone would come to a ride thinking that they needed an hour to recover at the end.  As long as this information is in your hands prior to you stepping over the starting line, you can ride your ride accordingly.  That's the point of the "before the ride" part.

The scenario of having requirements more strict than those published is not an uncommon one.  And in fact, AERC rules also state that:

2.1.6.1  The setting of veterinary parameters, including but not limited to pulse and respiration, shall be determined by the head veterinarian. Since the ambient conditions are of prime concern in the setting of parameters, these parameters should not be finalized more than 24 hours prior to ride start.  [emphasis mine]

Recovery time is a veterinary parameter.  So if the head vet feels that making this parameter more strict is in the best interests of the horses given the ambient conditions, it is not only his choice to do something about it, he is mandated to do so by the rules.  And as per the section of rule 6 already cited, the proper way to do this is to give it to the riders in writing.

Technically, there is also a pulse parameter of 68 set in our rules for the finish criterion.  VERY few rides anymore allow a pulse this high, but it has become so common not to do so that few rides publish this in writing prior to the ride anymore, in my experience in this area.  According to the rules, they are supposed to.  Again, seems like a minor technicality as long as all the riders know--but it is something for RMs to think about so that they are not protested.

I haven't a clue if this ride had its rule in writing or not.  They clearly did a good job of advising riders about it, in any event.  (The riders were apparently less confused about it than the ridecamp readership seems to be.  <g>)  Instead of raising a brouhaha about something that was within their jurisdiction to do, it might instead behoove us to simply encourage managers to have a provision to print the parameters in the future to avoid confusion and to protect themselves from protest from anyone who claims they didn't know about a more strict protocol.

Heidi