[RC] on fragile circles and loss - GoTory

To all of you who have followed the journey of my mare, Tory, after her fall
last October, especially Stephanie, Beccy, Linda, and Jerry,  I wanted to let
you know that I lost my sweet baby last Wednesday morning.
We'd had outpatient surgery a week before for debridement of the resulting
scar tissue and release of the annular ligament which was severely compressing
the tendon sheath. Surgery went well, although it took longer than expected due
to the extensive injury she'd sustained.  If I recall correctly, the
superficial digital flexor tendon had adhered to the tendon sheath which
required
slow, careful dissection.  Medical management was tried prior to surgery but
had
been ineffective and in fact the inflammation worsened in the 6 weeks between
the ultrasounds.  She'd never given a hint to the pain she must have been in,
other than a slight change in the rhythm of her gaits.  Neither the vet nor the
farrier could ever even call her grade 1 lame.
She had persistent leakage of fluid from the arthroscopy site after surgery
and it was determined she had developed an infection.  My local vet gave her
large doses of antibiotics both intra-articular and systemic on Monday night.
Tuesday I took her back to the surgeon who scheduled joint flushing.  The
procedure was brief and went well under light anesthetic.  But during the
recovery
she struggled, stepped wrong on the affected leg and shattered her tibia.  She
was euthanized.

In retrospect the only thing I would have done differently would be to have
sought more intense aggressive diagnostics and treatment earlier.  I do not
find fault with the care she received.

My "fragile circle" has been broken, as is my heart.
That I will never again hear her special whinny or hug her neck or kiss her
nose is still inconceivable.

It's been said here before to hug your horses....  please give them an extra
one for Tory and me..........

nikki