[RC] Sunriver - Steph Teeter

I'm still trying to get the results to post, but wanted to say THANKS to
ride management - Dale and Ona Lawrance, Sharon and Gordon Westerguard, and
a zillion other folks helping. This is a very big ride - I think they had
over 250 riders total! And everything went perfectly - trail, water, camp,
awards, etc - pretty amazing.

The conditions were tough, especially hard on horses from the hotter
climates - a fair amount of pulls from muscle cramping. It was COLD! 26
degrees when I looked at the thermometer in the wee hours before starting.
It warmed up to the upper 40's, breezy a lot of the day. And absolutely
arctic when we finished (complete with wind and snow). Some folks had
problems with sand/dust under pads as well - the footing was perfect in the
morning from the rain the night before, but turned to deep sand/silt the
second time around (it's a 50 mile loop that the 100's repeat) and worked
it's way under the pads, especially the hinds.

I don't know the results yet - 49 starters and 25? finishers on the 100 -
and Pat Murray and Flash Gordon took 1st and BC on the 100. She and Marcia
Smith finished together, but Marcia's horse developed a hind muscle cramp
after crossing the finish line (looking great across the finish) and was
DQ'd at completion trot-out. Bummer! I had a nice solid ride - finished
middle of the pack, my horse felt great all day (a maniac for the first 30
miles), finished very strong. I rode with Rusty and Wyatt most of the day,
but Wyatt was pulled at 64 miles - sand under his pads :(

The USET staff for the 2004 WEC were there, observing nominated riders. They
did comprehensive evaluations the day before the ride - flexion tests, hoof
tests, teeth, etc - very thorough. And were quite positive and helpful with
suggestions and comments. They also seemed to pop up at every vet check. The
morning after the ride, they evaluated the horses again. USET is going all
out this year to put together a team for Dubai 2004. They are certainly
making a best effort.

Thanks again to ride management!

Steph