[RC] Time to buy hay again - Mary Orosz

It’s time to reload the barn with hay and I am having a hard time deciding what to do.  I bought grass hay from the farmer next door last year.  It ended up being very poor.  There was some kind of grass in with the regular grass that the horses wouldn’t touch – it might have been wind grass.  It also had very little nutritional value.  I need 6 tons and don’t want to just go out and get hay of unknown nutritional value.  What do you do?  Do you ask to buy one bale and then have it analyzed?  I do give them grain so I can give them their supplements.  I can either get grass or alfalfa but have always gotten grass because of the protein content of alfalfa.  Any suggestions?

- Mary