Re: [RC] Ride/Race After-care - Merryben

I agree with you Roger and probably the most important thing there is that you stay the night and don't leave right after the final check and not even stay for the dinner.  That is one of my pet peeves for the horse and for the managment.

You cannot believe the amount of food that was left over after the Cooley ride by people that couldn't even stay for the dinner, let along the night.  The dinner was on time and people could eat, do the awards thing and be out of there and down the mountain well before dark so that was not a problem.  But run out of food and listen to the howl......

The only thing I like to do is go to the trailer after the post ride check, tie the horse up and LEAVE HIM ALONE for a while.  Unsaddle him and put a cooler on him if needed and let him relax for a bit before I start washing, brushing and all that stuff.  I stay with them but basically leave them alone.  They eat a little, drink and then sort of doze.

mb