Re: [RC] Stallions - Bette Lamore

Just one last thought, Jessica.
If you are going to keep a horse as a stallion, I believe it is only fair to him that he be bred occasionally and (unless you pros the mare afterwards) even breeding just one mare a year will bring up your herd over time (just ask my husband Mark) so there may be a time when you will have to find homes for these babies--- whether you are selling them or even giving them away-- but remember, you have money invested in them so unless you are very well off and can afford an expensive hobby, you may have to recoup some of your costs. That is why I and many breeders have been forced into the reality of thinking about the nasty word "market". I simply will not let my horses go to auction where they can be bought by the killers (and believe me there are MANY QUALITY horses in CA that go to them due to over breeding). If you are in an area where the costs of owning a horse are negligible (PLEASE let me know where that is :-) !!!) or if you have enough money to support the babies you produce then money and market is not an issue. I am breeding very few these days--- the market is terrible in CA with so much over breeding. My stallions for the most part are breeding other mares or my own leased to others--- that way I can have it all--- producing top quality babies, keeping my stallions happy and yet having great homes for the offspring. I still cry when they leave here and keep in touch with their new owners-- but it is easier for me than raising them for 3-5 years and then having to say good-bye. The saga of Black Beauty is real to me and I always worry about my offspring and what will eventually happen to them. These are all things you have to deal with when you breed yourself. These days shipping semen is sooo much easier on me---hard to get attached to those little buggers ;-)
Just some thoughts from my own experience and not a judgment of what others do.
Good luck with your boy!
Bette

jspoone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks Heidi! I will breed outside mares if asked but like Heidi I am doing
this more for myself and my dreams than to make a living off of it.
Jess

- Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy
Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)