Re: [RC] Sue and Heidi how much beet pulp the day of the ride? - Heidi Smith

>Heidi...
 Do you think that this may be a sign of a horse that has ulcers?   With the added stress of traveling and the tension building on ride day maybe aggravating the ulcers enough that he may not feel like eating hay?    I think I would check this as a possibility before I eliminated the horse entirely.

It is certainly a possibility, and one well worth looking into.  But then if he does, one also has to ask, WHY does this particular horse have ulcers?  If there is no particular risk factor that one can identify that would have caused this horse to have ulcers (not stalled, good diet, no NSAIDs, no illnesses, etc.), then the next question one has to ask one's self is whether the ulcer is due to the horse being stressed by being asked to do something for which he is not well suited--and we are right back to the same point of wondering if perhaps this sport is not this horse's cup of tea.

In recent years, I've come to the conclusion more and more often that we are frequently asking horses to do this sport that simply are not suited to it.  And it is one thing to participate in a limited way simply because one happens to like the horse, wants to ride, etc.--but something else entirely to work and work and work to micromanage such a horse to get him to a higher and higher level of participation.  I think there should come a point of "reality check" where one backs off and says, OK, this horse can comfortably do 3 or 4 50's a year, at a moderate pace, but more than that causes him to go past his comfort zone.  And some of the extreme effort that goes into micromanaging unsuitable horses would perhaps be better spent in selecting horses with more aptitude for the sport in the first place.  Conditioning and miles under saddle will improve any horse.  Just as basic dressage will improve any horse.  But just as one has to be realistic about a dressage horse that can't make it past training level because he is built wrong or doesn't have the mental "wiring" to do so, one also has to be realistic about horses that do not have the physical or metabolic aptitude to go beyond basic fitness and an occasional completion on an occasional ride.  To use a human example, my own stubby little body benefits from a certain level of activity, and I am healthier for it.  But no amount of conditioning would EVER turn me into, say, Lew Hollander--no matter how hard I tried.  And I would likely injure myself if I tried too hard to do so.

Heidi