[RC] Sue and Heidi how much beet pulp the day of the ride? - gwcarman

Heidi, your post is close to what I'm experiencing right now.  My 11 yo gelding has 4 rides (CTR/LD) on him.  The day of the ride he has no interest in hay.  He will graze if grass is available and will eat his beet pulp mashes well.  My question to you and Sue G. is how much of the wet mashes can I feed him to compensate for the lack of hay?  FYI - he does get beet pulp with every feeding, twice a day at home.

When we arrive  at the ride he  picks and usually will eat hay during the night before.  But the day of the ride he just looses interest in hay completely.   I've tried bribing him with alfalfa and friend's hay but after one or two bites he looses interest.  I know it's his way of handling the stress...he keeps it all internal...appearing quiet and aloof.  During conditioning rides he drinks at every creek and pees almost in every field just to get his treat of a mouthful or two of grass.  Yet, the day of the ride he doesn't drink well and does not  pee until he can't hold it anymore.  I know I need to just keep getting him out so that he becomes comfortable at the rides.  I'm more concerned about the lack of fiber in him the day of the ride.

 - debbie