Re: [RC] Equine ulcers - gastrogard vs generic tagamet - Stephanie E Caldwell

Along those same lines, however, there was a recent abstract in JAVMA (I
think) about the efficacy of a generic compounded form of omeprazole that
was NOT effective in treating gastric ulcers.  So better to try cimetidine
or ranitidine in horses before the generic omeprazole, if you can't afford
the Gastroguard.

What side effects do the Tagament and human drugs have? Would they be the
same as for humans? As I recall Tagament is prone to cause Migraines,
bladder problems, and vision problems in Humans, affects more females than
males is what my doc told me when I had my ulcer and had to choose
medications. What side effects do the Gastroguard carry?

Late last summer Star got Strangles and a suspected Ulcer from stress. Vet
felt like we caught hers early enough that taking a month or so of pasture
rest, which she had to have anyhow due to Strangles, would take care of
hers. I still ground her up 4 tums with her antibiotics and Vitamin C for
two weeks, and fed her some as treats everyday for a month. Eight weeks
later her anemia was better and she'd put all her weight back on.

Steph