[RC] Blown Knees - KYielding

I tore cartilage in my right knee about 12 years ago.  Had the surgery but they didn't fix it all so had the surgery again 18 months after the first one (different doc).  The knee perked along just fine until two years ago when it started getting bad again.  Last July I had the 3rd mini procedure on that knee and it was worse after that then before the surgery.  The only option left was a total knee replacement which I had December 20th.  Yes, the exercises are very important.  I started riding again one day short of two months after the surgery.  15 min. the first time and two days later 20 min.  Just kept working up from there.  It's been almost 5 months and I've been in the saddle for 6 hours on one day a week or so ago.  I can post for 3 miles before I have to go back to a walk.  Pain meds are very good.  The incision and drain holes take forever to completely heal so while the new knee is great the rest takes time.  I'm planning to do my first LD June 21.

My advise, have the knee fixed as soon as the riding season is over and do lots of exercises afterwards so you'll be ready for next season.  Wrapping the knee when you ride might help between now and when you have it fixed.  I used 6" wide Ace bandage.  I found that a recumbant bicycle was a big help in getting the motion back in my knee.  I am a very senior citizen by the way.

Kathleen & Sabrina