[RC] [Guest] Rascal/EPM - Ridecamp Guest

Lynn Salisbury lasah@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Laurie,

I'm not sure of the benefit of a spinal when your done with treatment if you
don't do one before treatment.  I know people will treat on symptoms alone
without a spinal but then you don't really have a definitive diagnosis.  If
your tap is clear after treatment, was it always clear?  Your vet is right
the blood test is not a good diagnostic for EPM.  It would tell you if your
horse had ever been exposed to the protozoa just not that it had crossed the
blood/brain barrier.  It's an expensive disease to treat so I understand not
tapping (additional expense).  It also involves having to transport a shaky
horse. In my own experience I can't say because I tapped before treatment
for a diagnosis and didn't tap after.  I have heard from other folks that
their post treatment taps were still positive after several treatments.
It's been a while since I have dealt with it. Things may have changed.  I
know Marquis is a good treatment option.  I used antibiotics because Marquis
was not around when I treated.  You can check out www.meadowherbs.com.  They
have a pretty knowledgable group there and lots of the latest info in case
you just want to educate yourself.  Feel free to contact me and I can tell
you our story.  Also don't do anything, if possible, to stress the immune
system while he's sick and your treating.  Caused my horse an acute reaction
and permanent residual damage.  No combo shots, etc. That's just my
experience, might be fine for another horse.  Good Luck.

Lynn