Re: [RC] High Strung Mare - Lori Bertolucci

Jeri, that is just what I found to be the case with my rescue horse. He was
high headed, high strung and seemed mad all the time. I knew there were
things going on and had the chiropractor do his thing with him, and even had
his teeth checked, tho' I knew they had been done prior to my getting him.
But the problems were still there. He was always wanting to buck outside of
a walk and always carried his head high. I decided it must be me and sent
him to a good trainer, but the trainer had the same problems. That was when
I spoke to another vet, different from the one who did his teeth before, yet
from the same office. He ran blood work, did flextion tests, checked his
back, checked his ears, then looked at his teeth. He said that tho' he knew
his partner had done Gambler's teeth just recently, he felt that more work
was needed. He cut down his extremely long canines and did some serious
rasping of the rest of them. Then he suggested looking at the saddle that
the trainer was using. He also reported back that the blood work looked
good, but that he was a bit anemic. So with proper suppliments, my using my
newly fitted RP saddle (thank you Lynne Glazer and Carmie Weininger) and
time, Gambler is now giving nicely to the bit, goes down the trial happily
and eagerly. OH yeah, did I mention that saddling had been a problem, too?
He was very, very cinchy.
I felt the biggest thing here was the work done on the teeth. The trainer
agreed. Also once the trainer stopped riding him his back stopped being
sore. Even tho' the fit "looked" ok, it obviously wasn't.
Just don't give up on trying to find the answer. Sometimes it is just pain
that makes them that way. If she is a very sensitive horse, as Gambler is,
then any pain is highlighted more.

Good luck on finding the answers!

Lori B.