Re: [RC] High Strung Mare - DESERTRYDR1

If I were you, I would first look at the tack I was using on the horse to
make absolutely sure that it fits her.  Have someone who really knows what
their doing, if you are unsure that you can make the determination yourself.
This means NOT a saddle fitting clinic where the fitter is associated with
any saddle or pad company.  Check her bit.  What was she used to before you
got her?  Are you using the same thing on her?  If at all possible, go back
to the simplest snaffle that will work on her.  I like a loose ring snaffle,
and I really like the Comfort Myler snaffle bits for a horse that is scared
of a bit.

Once you've determined that all the tack fits, and that she isn't in pain
from it, have a real equine dentist (preferably one who is a vet) look at her
teeth.  She may have teeth problems causing her pain.  Get anything done that
she needs.

Make sure she's not getting too much grain.  I figure anything beyond a pound
a day for a horse that's not in hard work is too much, but you might want to
withdraw ALL grain for a while and see if that makes a difference in her
attitude.  If she has trouble keeping weight on, use a fat and/or beet pulp
supplement instead of grain.  Is she on pasture for at least a couple hours a
day?  That often improves the overall attitude.  The more pasture time the
better, unless she tends to colic or founder.

Now for the important part, which someone has already mentioned.  Sometimes
it takes a while to form a trusting partnership with a new horse.  I think
the fact that she is so reactive says that either she is in pain, or afraid
she will be.  If you are used to riding easier-going horses, are your aids
too sharp or too strong for her?

Again, if she were my horse, I would probably go right back to basic ground
work with her, working through each step in the starting-under-saddle
process.  Some of the steps may go really fast, like 1 or 2 repeats.  Other
things may take longer, and that is probably where the holes in her training
are.  Those are the things that you will need to work on until she is
comfortable with your way of doing things, and responsive without being
over-reactive.

It sounds to me like she is a very insecure horse, and possibly you are going
faster than she can handle.  jeri