[RC] dealing w/herdbound/barn sour older horses? - heidi sowards

Someone may have posted this already, I didn't read all the
one more herdbound/barn sour, so when I rode him I took a
crop and when he balked at the edge of the property he got
a tap that continued until he walked even one step forward.
(It's the kind of crop with the wide popper.) Just a
constant nagging tapping on his rear. Sometimes he would
spin and when he did that, I'd keep spinning him until "I "
said we could stop. I took his bad behavior and made him
continue it. He stopped spinning pretty quick!!! He's a
very smart horse. Anyway, so I finally got out to do the
ride, of course he walked like a rental horse going away
from the barn, stopping and looking over his shoulder, etc.
On the way home, he was the supreme rental horse, tail up,
prancing, dancing, etc. So every time he wouldn't walk when
asked, we did circles, more and more and more circles. I
figure they're never as stubborn as me, I'll stay out til
11 pm doing circles, "I" don't care!!! :) Then when we
finally got home (it took over 2 hours to go 2 miles one of
the first times I did this) and I walked him past our place
(heavens!!!) and we went down to where the neighbors have a
ditch, and practiced crossing water, walking through water,
etc. At least 20 min. worth of more work. THEN we walked
home and he was promptly tied up for 30 more min. while
still tacked up. In his stall, where he couldn't eat or
visit with his buddy. I also got to where I was taking a
snack out on the trail with me as a treat. So, long story
longer, I punished him every time he acted like home was
the best place to be. And I only made home not nearly as
wonderful as he thought it was. About 5 times of this and
he was 110% better. Occasionally he needs a tune up, we
sometimes still do a few circles out on the trail, only now
it usually takes only 5 or 6 to remind him that I could
care less how many circles we do and I haven't had to tie
him at home in forever. He HATES that!!! Food and his buddy
are his life!!! Hope something helps, it is sure
frustrating when this happens. My new gelding leaves the
house and buddy so well, it's like he could care less about
anyone. At least I know if he dumps me, he won't run home,
the other gelding would still do that!!! (Hey, I didn't say
he was perfect!! :)

heidi
--- Julie <hdnpines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am also new to the list and have the same problem.  I
recently purchased a 7yo Standardbred gelding that has
been living at my place along with a quarter horse mare
for the past 7 or 8 months.  Neither horse had been
ridden since they came to live at my place.  After I
purchased the gelding, I sent him off to a trainer for 6
weeks.  While at the trainer, I rode him several times
with no problems other than an occasional spook.  Once we
got back home and he was back with the mare, I have had
severe problems trying to ride him w/o the mare.  I
talked to the former owners and they said that this has
always been a problem and they just always rode with them
together.  Obviously I need to be able to ride him alone
but I'm not sure how to get him less herd bound.
Everytime I try to ride away from the mare, he throws a
fit, bucking, throwing his head, and trying to spin
around and head back to the other horse.  My thoughts
right now are to make him go just a little farther away
from her each time we ride but any suggestions would be
much appreciated.  He's a great trail horse and I'm
really hoping to do my first endurance ride with him this
summer.  TIA

Julie