Re: [RC] beet pulp-nutritional value - Mike & Kathy Kelly

Hi Becca

Beet pulp can be a good addition when feeding grass hay, often (but not always - best to have your hay analyzed) the grass hay is a bit low in Ca and beet pulp is a good way to add more.  You can get the beet pulp analyzed for $16 from www.litchlabs.com .  I had mine tested, it is a good source of Ca, but also some Mag, Potassium, a little Cu and some Zn and Manganese also.  1lb doesn't sound like too much.

Hope this helps,
Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ

I am feeding my two boys one 1lb. coffee can of pelleted beet pulp a day. It is soaked in 4 to 5 cans of water. My daughters pony has an injured tendon so is confined to his stall and a small run for much of the day. I have him on grass hay only. The beet pulp I buy has no nutritional info on the bag at all. Am I overdoing it? They LOVE it. Beccy in Ut.