Re: [RC] Should I take on a boarder? - superpat

You are right, it all depends on finding the right person. But I think it
would be worth the effort. For one thing your horse would probably be
happier with another horse to talk to.
And think how nice it will be to have someone to help with the feeding and
cleaning. You can take vacations or days away from home and know that your
horse is being well cared for. If you blanket in the winter, how nice it
will be to have a few days a week when you don't have to be home early
enough to get the blanket on, knowing that your boarder will be doing that.
I leased a horse to a person who has since become a dear friend. She was 13
at the time (now 19 and away at college). She was the best barn partner I
could have wished for. She loved everything to do with horses and not only
did her chores but took great pleasure in grooming mine and helping out with
all sorts of barn and farm chores. So don't discount the young ones. They
are enthusiastic and eager for a chance. Although I will admit that I think
I lucked up on the best, most focused and disciplined little girl ever
created.
I would suggest that whomever you may consider, try to go take a look at
where they now keep their horse. If it is a boarding situation, you may be
able to talk with the owner to get a feel for the person you are
considering. You can also see how they care for their horse. Whatever you
decide, it may be best to arrange for a short term situation, like a month
or so. Then you can gracefully decline to continue the arrangement if you
are not satisfied with the boarder's performance. Be sure to put in writing,
the understanding of the arrangement including, work exchange duties,
etc.( For instance, my boarder was responsable for evening feeding and stall
cleaning on Mon, Wed. and Friday). This was the free time I could count on.
Consider getting something in writing regarding liability. Perhaps you can
get some advice from Ride Campers who have such expertise.
Good luck...It could be a great opportunity for you to enhance your horse
experience.
Pat