[RC] Sport Saddles--loin rubbing question? - Karen

At 10:07 AM 4/2/2003 -0800, you wrote:
loin rubbing but did not find any answers. I have heard using double rigging
helps but that has not worked before in the past cause my horse is very
narrow girthed with well sprung ribs so girth does not stay back.

Hi Karla -- I am not sure what you mean about double rigging. I adjusted the rigging on my saddles to start from the back D-ring. There are pictures on my website: http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/ (link is at bottom of my links) If you try this and the girth wants to move forward, then use a crupper to hold the saddle in place.

Should I be concerned that it is on one side rather
than both?

If it were my horses, yes I would be concerned. That gives me a hint that either my horse is moving crooked, or else I am riding crooked. Especially if they weren't having an uneven rub pattern before. Every spring my long haired chestnut horse will have half moon shaped areas of hair broken off over his loins. This is normal, and I don't worry about it. If, however, he has one side more worn than the other then usually a chiro adjustment takes care of it. Sometimes it is just a matter of paying more attention and pushing the horse back straight with my leg when riding.

 Does loin rubbing happen more with longer rides? I did have alot
more weight (extra water bottles) in my pommel pack that day which I
normally don't have. That added weight back in the loin area. Could that
cause it? Thanks!!

Anything is possible, every horse is different. Best bet would be to have somebody go riding with you and watch how even you are and if your horse is moving and tracking evenly. If that checks out, maybe try the rigging change, or a different pad.